Pumpkin Apple Pie
I know fall was “technically” here at the end of last month, but October 1st felt like the right day to really bust out the pumpkin. This pumpkin apple pie is the perfect marriage between two fall favorites! If you live in a house divided, this puppy gives you the best of both. You can also use the two separate fillings to make an array of tartlets if you’ve got some seriously stubborn anti-pumpkin people. Read on, and get to baking to have fall all up in your taste buds.
- One 9 inch pie crust
- Pumpkin Filling
- 15 oz of canned pumpkin
- 1 ¼ cup of evaporated milk
- 1 egg + 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ginger
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp of cloves
- Apple Filling
- 6 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 3 apples
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Blind bake crust while making fillings.
- For the pumpkin filling: place all ingredients into bowl and whisk until smooth. Tough stuff, I know.
- For the apple filling: core, slice, and peel apples. Combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and remove from heat. Once cool, pour caramel mixture over apples in a large bowl to coat. I like to let them sit while I wait for the crust to bake.
- Remove crust from oven and arrange apple slices along the bottom. Drizzle with caramel sauce, taking care not to drown your apples. Pour pumpkin filling over apples.
- Bake at 325º until pie is set. Pie should be firm around the edges and barely jiggle in the center. This will take about 45-55 minutes. Keep an eye on your crust to make sure it is not browning too quickly. Use foil to tent the edges if necessary.
- Let pie cool for at least two hours to finish setting up.
- Slice, serve, and bask in the compliments.
Thanks for letting me be a tart of your world.
Easter is Sunday. Yes it’s, the resurrection of our Lord and savior, but also… it’s arguably one of the biggest brunch days of the year. If you’re a brunch overachiever like me, you need this recipe. It’s a classic, and fairly basic, recipe. That being said, it tastes pretty fancy and your guests will be […]
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
I feel like I should be embarrassed that I have to sing Gwen everytime I spell banana. I ain’t no hollaback girl, so it is what it is. On Friday I babysat my niece. After talking her way into a new baker Barbie (I couldn’t be prouder), she wanted to bake for real. The ingredient […]
Salted Milk Chocolate Cookies
Happy February friends! The first post of the month (hopefully I find time for many more), is for a classic. If you want to wow your valentine, or eat cookie dough until you vomit, look no further. There is nothing else profound to say about these cookies. Some people boast their chocolate chip cookies as […]
Gooey Caramel Brownies
I’m baaaaack. My sincerest apologies for the long lapse in writing and recipes. I was preoccupied with birthdays, the holidays, a honeymoon, and running off to get hitched. Needless to say, I’ve been a little busy. Now I’m back in the Midwest making a giant mess of my kitchen and saving the occasional life. My […]
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
It’s been mentioned on here before that I am a crazy Christmas lady. My tree is up and our stockings have been hung by the chimney with care. The neighbors don’t know I’m a stone cold weirdo, so I’m waiting to decorate the outside until it’s a little more “acceptable.” Since the holiday season has […]
Cherry Apple Pie
Sure, this cherry apple pie is delicious. Let’s be real though, the thing that makes it one of my favorites is the fact that there is no blind baking required! Praise be. You can use any cherries and apples that tickle your fall fancy, but I recommend using sweet cherries and tart apples or tart […]
Another day, another excuse to use the kitchen torch. I know I will one day go down in a blaze of glory. What can I say? These gooey, toasty, chocolate campfire brownies are just worth the risk. This the second chocolatey post of the day, and that makes me a happy camper (pun intended). I […]
Chocolate Cream Pie
Yesterday was National Chocolate Day. Bless this beautiful country that lets us have an entire day dedicated to chocolate. In honor of one of the best days of the year, I whipped up a chocolate cream pie. The good news is this pie is good any day, so don’t feel like you have to wait […]
Cinnamon Apple Donuts
October is coming to a close, so I had to squeeze in another apple recipe before it becomes all about the Christmas baking. Brace yourselves, because I’m the person who puts their Christmas tree up on November 1st. I have always found donuts to be daunting, and therefore never given them a shot. I’m glad […]
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
Recently I decided to embrace my lack of decorating skills. I made some spoooooooooooky cupcakes. These little guys are kind of like Burger after his latest trip to the groomer… so ugly they’re cute. We all know it’s what’s inside that counts (I keep telling myself this through tears of laughter every time I look […]